- increase the understanding of the gaps and inconsistencies of national legal frameworks with regard to children deprived of liberty (placement, treatment and safeguards),
- assess the current conditions of children in closed institutions for compliance with international standards on liberty and security of children,
- facilitate reforms and exchange of best practices,
- help raise awareness about the placement and living conditions in closed institutions,
- help integrate children’s rights, particularly in the area of deprivation of liberty, into the EU’s fundamental rights policy and provide reliable data for evidence-based policies.
CLR PROJECT ACTIVITIES
- Participating to work meetings in Sofia with project partners,
- Analysing the legal, institutional and policy framework regarding the depriving of liberty of children in psychiatry and social assistance institutions,
- Recruiting, training and employing the experts in monitoring the way human rights are being respected,
- Conducting 40 monitoring unannounced visits in 40 medical and social care institutions,
- Conducting 20 monitoring unannounced follow-up visits in 20 of the already visited institutions,
- Drafting the monitoring reports and remitting the conclusions to relevant authorities,
- Drafting a national monitoring report,
- Organizing a debate – a round table event – for presenting the results of the monitoring visits and the improvement proposals,
- Organizing an international session of training for journalists from the participating countries on the topic of observing the way in which the rights of children deprived of liberty in social and medical care institutions are respected,
- Presenting the conclusions for Romania in CLR’s field of actipn at the international conference from December 2014 in Budapest, Hungary.
- Centre for Legal Resources (CLR),
- Helsinki Committee Hngary,
- Helsinki Committee Poland
Co-financed by the European Commission, Fundamental Rights and Citizenship Programme, Project Code No. JUST/2012/FRAC/AG/2685
65.388, 80 euro (CLR implementation budget)
- All country reports presenting the results from the two-year legal and field research, including Romania, were compiled into one final publication in English, available on the Bulgarian Helsinki Committee page. You cand download it here, and go to page 550 for Romania,
- Here is also the SUMMARY REPORT of the monitoring visits we conducted between October 2013 – March 2014.