Persons with disabilities face important barriers in accessing information, support and justice when they fall victims to crime. In particular, many means of support are inaccessible or difficult to access.
The CHAT for victims project was developed with the objective to improve access to information and support for persons with disabilities who are victims of crime. The project will achieve this goal by developing a live-chat service adapted to the communication needs of persons with disabilities, with emphasis on persons with voice, hearing, intellectual and psychosocial impairments/disabilities.
Activities will include research on communication needs of persons with disabilities and on solutions and good practices for developing a live-chat service adapted to these needs; development of training programmes for support providers and capacity building; and awareness-raising activities.
- Victim and Witness Support Services Croatia (PZS) (HR) (Coordinator)
- Validity (HU)
- Legal Centre for Human Rights and Environment (PIC) (SL)
- Official College of Psychology of Madrid (ES)
- Centre for Legal Resources (RO)
- Victim Support Europe (BE)
The main goal of the project is the establishment of a functional live-chat service adapted to persons with disabilities, thereby expanding the range of formats through which victims and witnesses can receive information and support. Given that the provision of support via live-chat service is relatively new, the project’s intention is to ensure a high quality of service through research, cooperation with non-governmental organizations that already provide support via chat and through cooperation with people with disabilities. All conducted efforts will be documented through the manual and the training programme as standards for future endeavours by other organizations or institutions.
- International and national desk research and data collection
- Consultations with experts and persons with disabilities
- Development and implementation of a live chat service
- Capacity building for service providers
- Awareness-raising and dissemination
- International research report
- Handbook for service providers
- Training programme
- Implementation of live-chat service
- Awareness-raising campaigns
Project duration: July 2022 – June 2024
Co-funded by the European Union. Views and opinions expressed are however those of the author(s) only and do not necessarily reflect those of the European Union or the European Commission. Neither the European Union nor the granting authority can be held responsible for them.